About This Blog

Rated P is a sketch comedy musical about parenthood celebrating the wonders & lunacy of raising kids from conception to college. This blog, written by Rated P's author & lyricist, Sandy Rustin, offers up a humorous and heartfelt look at the nitty gritty business of parenting.



Saturday, February 9, 2013

HODGE PODGE BLOG





Lately I've been exercising instead of blogging. It has seemed to me to be an either/or situation and the pressing reality of my brother's upcoming spring wedding has tipped the scale in exercising's favor.

However, the fact that I'm focused on toning my thighs has not diminished the moments in my life that I want to remember. And since I use this blog as a means of recording seemingly unforgettable moments that time will most assuredly cause me to forget,  I thought that this morning, since my exercise studio is closed for snow,  I'd take a moment to recount two simple little snippets of life I don't want to lose.  I'm gonna think of it as mini-blogging. Maybe that could be a new thing. Actually, it's probably already a thing. Regardless, here goes ...

MINI BLOG #1:
LAUGHTER INTO HOT CHOCOLATE

Lately, my three year old has been catching laughter mid-air. If he hears someone laughing, his little ears perk up and then he reaches up both hands, bracing himself as if to receive a pitch. He catches air with commitment and crumples it up between his hands. He mutters unintelligible wizard words to himself while scrunching up his face in deep concentration. All the while his hair remains characteristically out of control.

Just before bed last night, my husband watched him do this for the first time. "What are you doing" he asked.

"Turning laughter into hot chocolate" he replied.

And then they each took a sip of delicious laughter hot chocolate with marshmallows on top, and for that moment, as the snow fell silently outside and three consecutive episodes of Homeland awaited us on demand, all was right in the world.

MINI BLOG #2:
MAKE UP

I was serving up snacks in the kitchen when I happened to catch a glimpse of my reflection in the chrome tissue box. My reflection has recently become a source of constant surprise. I continue to expect to see my 25 year old face looking back at me, but I have an age spot now so that's never gonna happen. 

I look like ladies look before they put on their make-up.  

I come from a long line of women who wear their make-up beautifully. On both sides, actually. My mom, my grandmothers, my aunts ... the women who raised me saw the value in the correct shade of blush. My Aunt Harriet actually once offered up sage advice in the midst of a family tragedy. Just when it felt like eye shadow was the very last thing on anyone's mind, she called to say - "Wake up, get out of bed, and put on your lipstick. It makes everything feel more normal." I've always taken that to heart.

But sometimes, when you're still in your exercise clothes and in the midst of packing school lunches, picking up stepped on dog kibble, and running the washing machine for the third time in a row since you keep forgetting to move the wet clothes to the dryer - sometimes then, you don't think to put on lipstick. Hell, you might not even think to put on deodorant.* And it's of course right at that moment - the moment when you're smearing blackberry jelly on a sandwich you're gonna have to lie about later ("I don't know what you're talking about ... that was strawberry!") - it's right at that moment that you catch a glimpse of your own foundation-free face and think - WHO THE HELL IS THAT OLD WOMAN?!  And then you glance over at your sweet little boys and say:

"Uch. Sorry you have to look at me guys. I didn't put on any make up today."

And right then when you're sure they're not listening, right when you think they're so engaged with their pretzels and Magnatiles that they don't even register your voice, right then, one of them looks up and says:

"Mom, I think you look nice without makeup."

And then you realize that they don't even know what an age spot is, they just like your "dot." And they don't understand why you wear lipstick anyway since it interferes with stain-free kisses. And they think the dark circles under your eyes make you look like a ninja which is super cool for a mom. 

"That's so nice," I say. Because it is.

 (*I forgot deodorant for the first time since puberty yesterday and can't seem to let it go).

The Mini-Blog Section of this blog is over but there are still ...

TWO OTHER THINGS I WANT TO TELL YOU ABOUT:

#1) My friend, Tim wrote a book. It's called BETTER NATE THAN EVER and you can order it. 

Here's what I emailed Tim after I read it:  


I feel like this book is really important. It strikes me very much as the first of its' kind. Like if you've ever loved kids, musicals, or road trips, or if you've ever been teased or seen your mom drunk, then this book is for you. Basically, it's for everyone. This book is gonna become a bible of sorts for kids with body issues and copies of Finishing The Hat. Special does not even begin to cut it.

I want to tell you about it, because I loved it so much and I think you will too.

#2) My friend, Brooke, writes an awesome blog called Carpool Candy. Her latest post is what reminded me to get back to writing here - so I just wanted to take a second to shout out a thanks to her!

AND ALSO ...

RATED P THE MUSICAL NEWS:

So long as I'm hodge-podgeing this blog, I might as well fill you in on some Rated P news while we're all here! We are gearing up to create a cast album (hopefully this spring) and our first regional production is set to open on July 10th at the Actors' Playhouse in Coral Gables, Florida. Tix are now on sale! Lots more to announce soon too!  I'll keep you posted.

OH YEAH ONE MORE THING ...

I WROTE A NEW PLAY AND YOU'RE INVITED TO COME SEE IT:

The Cottage, a comedy in two acts, is my latest endeavor. It's a farce inspired by the works of Noel Coward (my favorite). Set in the English Countryside in 1923, it's a tale of love, sex and betrayal. The play calls into question the true meanings of fate, identity, and marriage in a web of secrets that unravel in this potentially murderous, romantic comedy.

A staged reading of the play will be presented as part of Midtown Direct Rep's Theatre in the Loft series on Sunday, April 21st at 7 PM and I hope you can come!  For tix click here.

Enjoy this snowy day! May all your cups overflow with laughter hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment